Use This Time
to Create Your Wishlist
If your move to the Yucatan delayed, evaluate the features of your current home so you know just what you want in your next one. Now that many of us have spent several weeks living inside, we’ve become quite familiar with our homes — in some cases, maybe too familiar. If you were planning to buy before COVID-19, and still plan to do so when the timing is right, you might want to take this time to reflect on what’s working and what’s not in your current home. For instance, those
Here is a list of questions to help you pinpoint what you like and don’t like about your current home so you can find more comfort and pleasure in your next one. The stairs you’ve climbed 10 times a day may have kept you moving while you’ve stayed home, but maybe you’d like stair-free living in your next home. Or perhaps the yard you thought you could do without has now become a must-have.This lockdown is temporary, but think of what life is like in April, the hottest month of the year. You will be spending a lot more time at home. Because the Yucatan can be a hot place to live at time, it is important to be sure you are happy with your home. Ii should keep you cool and comfortable and allow you to enjoy the warm tropical weather. You want tp make the best of the warm, sunny climate of the Yucatan, you do not want to be here enduring it.
What’s working for you
and what’s not?
- On a scale of 1-10, how do you like your current home?
- What’s your home’s best quality?
- And its worst quality?
- Do you like the style of your home? If not, is there an architectural style or era you prefer?
- What’s your favorite room, and what makes spending time there pleasurable?
Space and flow:
How do you feel when you’re at home?
- Do you have enough space or too much? Where could you use more/less space?
- How would you describe the layout — an open floor plan or more compartmentalized? Does it suit your lifestyle?
- Do you have enough or too many bedrooms? Bathrooms?
- Do you like the number of levels (single or multistory)?
- Are you happy with the windows (enough natural light, well-placed, too sunny)?
- Do you like the fixtures and finishes?
- Is there a specialized room you’ve never had but have always wanted (such as a home office, workout room, sewing room, laundry room or terrace)?
- Are you looking at homes online? What features in the homes you see for sale in the Yucatan that most excite you to have in your new home?
and how does it affect your experience of home?
- If you have an outdoor space, do you enjoy spending time there?
- If you don’t have one, do you feel like you’re missing out?
- Do you enjoy taking care of a yard… or feel burdened by it (be honest!)?
- Does your home have curb appeal? If not, what needs to be improved?
- Do you have adequate parking? Is a garage or carport a must-have?
- How much time and effort does the exterior require for upkeep (painting, staining, etc.)?
- Are you excited about the idea of indoor/outdoor living that is very common in the Yucatan?
can make life all the sweeter
- Are you happy with your neighborhood? Think about all its characteristics, including walkability, parks, nearby activities, density, noise level and neighbor involvement.
- Do you have to travel far for basics such as groceries or a doctor’s appointment?
- Are you happy with your commute?
- Are there enough activities going on around you — or too many?
Now make adjustments for life in the Yucatan
- Keep in mind that many spend a lot more time outdoors when living in the Yucatan than you might when living farther north.
- The most important feature usually shifts from the living room to the poolside terrace.
- It is important for many to have a pool in the Yucatan.
- It is a hot climate, the house features should be built for maximizing comfort.
- Home are built differently here. So take the best features of your current home that you love and translate that to architecture local to the Yucatan
- Keep in mind there is no zoning here. So business and residential can be very mixed. How much activity do you want around your home. Some find it charming to hear the activity of centro in their garden and other prefer the property to be quiet and peaceful?
Thank you for reading my blog!
Yucatan Beach and City Property is your trusted professional in real estate no matter if you have a house for sale or you are buying a house. We provide the top real estate services in the Yucatan including Merida and the surrounding coastal communities.
Contact us today!